Autoblog may receive a share of purchases made through links on this page. Pricing and availability are subject to change.
A charging station, or charging station, or electric vehicle power equipment (EVSE) is essential if you want to get the most out of your EV. Most cars come with a simple standard plug wall charger, which can take up to 12 hours to charge the car. So if you need juice fast and don’t want to drive to a nearby public car park with charging stations, you should invest in a Level 2 home charger.
Most home appliances, such as the Juice box 32 below requires NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 outlets, so if your garage does not currently have one, you will need to contact an electrician to install an outlet. There are also hardwired units you can buy like the JuiceBox 40which will give you a slightly faster charge than the JuiceBox 32, but we also recommend professional installation by a certified electrician.
Plus, there are dozens of utility discounts available across North America, so before you buy, be sure to research which ones you can take advantage of in your hometown. There are also potential tax credits you can take advantage of for the cost of your home charging station and installation costs.
- 32 A Level 2 EVSE
- UL and Energy Star certified
- 3-year limited warranty for normal residential use
- The weatherproof housing and 25′ charging cable give you the flexibility to install the device indoors or outdoors, wherever is most convenient for your home
- Wi-Fi connectivity and free JuiceNet app for remotely controlling and monitoring your charging, getting notifications, setting charging reminders, and more
- Qualifies for local incentives in many utility areas and participates in the Enel X JuicePoints program to earn money for smart charging in eligible areas.
- US-based EV drivers can also claim a tax credit of 30% of the cost of their home charger and JuiceBox installation.
6% (or $40) isn’t a huge discount, but every little bit counts. You can also save an additional $60 on this device when you apply the Amazon coupon before checkout.
The JuiceBox J1772 is compatible with all makes and models of electric vehicles, including Teslas via an adapter provided by Tesla. If you have more than one electric vehicle in your fleet, you can share the charging load between two or more JuiceBox chargers without having to add an additional circuit to your home panel. It is important to note that if you decide to use the cable JuiceBox 40which will require professional installation, so you will need to hire an electrician to permanently connect it to your home’s existing electrical system.
If you don’t want to go the wired route (and also want to save a little money), the Juice box 32 is probably the option you want to choose. So before you buy, consider your home’s electrical configuration and add-on potential to best determine the type of charging case that’s right for you and your home.